Tuesday, October 22, 2013

{Helpmeet In Training} A Weekend at LIFT

This past weekend, I was so incredibly blessed with the opportunity to go visit My Man in the ADK at LIFT. For several weeks prior, it was very up-in-the-air whether I would be able to go or not, so I considered the simple fact of being able to visit a huge blessing.

The two short days there turned out to be a bigger blessing that I could have ever imagined. Of course, the biggest blessing was simply being with Stephen again, and getting to do so many wonderful things with him. But the other main thing that I was so humbled by was the deep love that this group of 30 young adults has for each other, and for every one they meet. The welcome his parents and I got when we arrived was astounding. And every time I walked into the same room as the LIFTers, I was immediately cheered and encouraged by their big smiles, joyous laughter, and positive words. 

Saturday morning, his parents and I got up super early and were on the road by 6am. It is about a four hour drive there, and every mile increased my excitement. By the time we arrive around 10, the mix of caffeine and adrenaline in me made me start shaking. The first LIFTer I met was this lovely lady next to me, Lisa. She gave me such a warm welcome, and it was cool getting to talk to her before Stephen showed up.


That very first hug from Stephen again was past description, and I was pretty sure I was never ever ever going to let go of him again. But, of course, I did have to. After having lunch and meeting all the other LIFTers, he and his parents and I went to a nearby antique shop that was right on the Hudson River.



Together again, at last. It felt so good to be able to slip my hand into his.



When we got back to camp, it was time to get ready for dinner. Stephen, of course, had been telling everyone that we were reenactors, and they were all interested in seeing us dressed up. So, I brought down his Confederate uniform and my new organdy dress. It was wonderful seeing him in his uniform again, and getting to wear my new dress for him! Our friend Nate blessed us with a mini  photo shoot once we were all dressed up. I can't wait to see the rest of his pictures!


Meal times with the group were so fun. At every meal, most of the group would be present, and we would all gather around one or two tables, and talk and laugh and joke. There was always so much joy and fun in group, and everybody got along so well. As Stephen said, they really have become family.



In the evening we got to see around camp, and Stephen and I had the chance to play some piano for each other. Hearing him play Moonlight Sonata brought tears to my eyes, because I have missed it so much.


I was blessed to be able to spend the night in one of the girls dorms with three of the girls. I got a chance to talk with two of them before bed, and they were both so sweet and wonderful. Sunday morning, Stephen and I had a chance to do our own Bible study together, something that we had always tried to do here as well. Then we had breakfast, and went to their church in Speculator. The service was wonderful, and I loved being at church again with Stephen.


This beautiful lady, Becca, is one of the girls I shared a room with, and I loved getting to know her. She has such a sweet, quiet, calm spirit.


Sunday afternoon, Stephen had to work housekeeping, and I was thankful to be given permission to be able to work right along side him. It's so cool to be able to enjoy working with him just as much as spending free time with him.


Then, after dinner on Sunday, it was time to leave. It was so hard to leave, not only Stephen, but everyone I met there. I arrived feeling like I didn't belong, and left feeling like I too had found a new family.

A week from today, the entire group is leaving for their two-week mission trip to the Dominican Republic. I'm so excited for Stephen, as he was assigned to work in Physical Therapy; he's going to be so good at that!

I am so incredibly thankful to have had the chance to visit Stephen and meet everybody up there. This has been and will continue to be a fantastic experience for him; and, even though I'm not there, the effects have been oozing out of Stephen into me as well. This has been challenging beyond belief for both of us, but we are both growing and learning so much. What a great God we serve!

No comments: