Monday, February 3, 2014

{Works With Her Hands} Let The Quilting Begin!

A few weeks ago, I finished piecing the Double Wedding Ring quilt top:


It's queen size, so there is no floor space in our apartment big enough to lay the entire thing out flat! Definitely the biggest quilt I've made yet.

Such a big quilt can be really expensive to get backing for, so I reverted to my new money-saving trick - a bed sheet from a thrift store! This past weekend I got a queen size sheet in just the color I wanted for $3.Can't get much better than that! It isn't cotton, which I'm sure any quilting die-hard would nag me about, but I'm not picky. It's soft and silky, and gives a unique look to the quilting and drape.

Today, I layered and basted the quilt, and now the first ring is quilted!


The deep red backing really highlights the white quilting; the pictures don't do the color justice, though. 


For the large squares between rings, I chose to do a fleur-de-lis motif. Ever since Stephen gave me a fleur-de-lis pendant back in 2010, that symbol has had special meaning.



And now, only 55 more rings to quilt!

1 comment:

Michaela said...

That looks fantastic Allison! I love the bright colors you chose and the double wedding ring design is so pretty. Clever idea to use a thrift store sheet, I'll have to keep that in mind. I really like the significance of the fleur-de-lis. How do you transfer your quilting designs onto your quilt? Do you use a template? It looks great, keep up the good work!

-The Farming Daughter