Thursday, May 6, 2010

Getting Off Your High Horse

Has God ever put something in your life that you really didn't like? That you didn't understand, and that was directly opposite to what you wanted? I know that has happened to me a lot. When He does, I get unthankful, discontented, and impatient. I've found that the best cure is to spend time directly thanking God for the things I don't like. But, it's so hard!!
Why is it that it takes several tries before I can actually get the words to come out of my mouth? Well, when we are unthankful towards God, it is because we think that our plan is better and that we know the right way to handle things. In contrast, thanking God for those unwanted things is acknowledging that His way is better than our way, and that He knows what is best. That requires a lot of humility......more than I usually have.
As difficult and unpleasant as this is, it's a good practice. When I thank God even when I feel unthankful, my attitude is changed. No, I still don't really like those circumstances, but I know that God is working and in control, and that His way is best!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

He is so incredibly patient and loving with us, isn't He! When we go round and round the same mountain...learning, relearning...He never gives up on us. Thank you so much for sharing this Alli. I enjoyed reading it, A LOT! Keeping pressing into Jesus and keep blogging. He has given you a gift to write-- being transparent and vulnerable in our writing, revealing the depth of His love and grace. Love you cuz!