Wednesday, July 6, 2011

War of 1812

I know that this is dreadfully overdue, but as they say,

Better late than never!

So, taking that to heart, I am finally posting about the War of 1812 weekend, a week and a half later!

Anyways, the War of 1812 weekend is a semi-large event at Genesee Country Museum full of soldiers and pretty dresses. My mom and I went to it for the first time two years ago with our English dance group, and it was one of the main things that started getting me into reenacting and Victorian dance. This is event is also especially dear to my heart, because it was at the 1812 ball two years ago that I first met my wonderful handsome man, Stephen. It's always fun to remeber that first night, the first time seeing each other, our first waltz. And it's really awesome to be able to look back and see what God has done since then! So, all that being said, 1812 is a good year for me!!

This year, my day started off with a delicious (and period-correct) lunch at Hosmer's Inn. Mutton stew, pickled eggs, salad, bread, fresh cheese, pickled beets (not my favorite), strawberries, 1-2-3-4 cake, gingerbread, and strawberry rhubarb pie, plus more that I was just too full to eat!!!

Then there was a local militia group recruiting, or attempting to recruit, soldiers.

They actually managed to get quite a few volunteers!


Then we watched a fashion show:



This was one of my favorite dresses:


Then there was a military tatics demonstration:



Next, my mom anbd I joined our English dance group to put on a dance demonstration. We even got a lot of people from the crowd to join in!





Then we had dinner, and after dinner, Stephen and I went to the lovely Livingston-Backus gardens to take pictures.





And last of all, the ball in the evening. It started out pretty small, but we managed to get a pretty good group of reenactors to join later on.The room was much prettier in the evening after the sun went down, and the room was lit by candles; but, it's rather difficult to take pictures in such low light!




 

And thus, yet another successful War of 1812 went down in history!

No comments: