Tuesday, July 19, 2011

Idle Hands and Audio Books

I'm sure you've all heard the saying,

Idle hands are the Devil's tools.

Well, it's true, and I don't ever like to have idle hands. I always like to be working, or reading, or cooking, or cleaning, or working on projects. In fact, I usually have several projects going at once, just so I can keep busy....so that I don't just sit around all day wasting time and doing stupid things.

That being the case, I just recently finished two projects. The first is a crocheted shawl for reenacting:



 And the second is a crocheted rag rug to use up all my fabric scraps:



And, I still have some extra scrap fabric that just didn't seem to fit on this rug, so I've begun another rug, a rectangle this time.

Well, not only are idle hands a problem, but so is an idle mind. While I'm working on projects, I can never just sit and work in silence. Sometimes I'll put on music, and sometimes I'll put on a movie. But more often than not, I'll listen to an audio book.

There is this awesome website I found called Librivox which has thousands of free audio books in mp3 and ogg files. Since the beginning of the year, all while working on projects, I have listened to:


Pride and Prejudice
Emma
Sense and Sensibility
Mansfield Park
Persuasion
Northanger Abbey
Jane Eyre
The Pilgrim's Progress

If you like audio books, I would highly recommend checking out Librivox. If you've never listened to an audio book, I would still highly recommend checking it out. They're a great way to "read" and get your work done all at the same time.

So, all that to say, go find a useful and productive way to keep your hands busy today, and while you're at it, find something to do with your mind, too!

1 comment:

Celia said...

LOVE the shawl...I wish that I had the patience to actually FINISH one of those. =) Audio books are awesome, aren't they? Thanks for the tip on Librovox - never heard of it. I'll be trying it out sometime!