Thursday, July 21, 2016

Beautiful Food

I love color. Actually, I thrive on color. I love to have a multitude of color around me, in all shades and tints.

The same is true for my food. Although I'm not one to plan my meals based on color, I do love it when my food is both delicious and beautiful! With that in mind, here are four recipes for yummy, colorful food.

First are these strawberry covered chocolate brownies. Seriously, these were amazing. I think the brownies would have been amazing by themselves - deep, dark, intense fudgy chocolate. But, the strawberry topping just added that extra punch of fresh flavor and bright color.


Next is a slightly thrown-together meal that was way better than I expected! I made the walnut crusted pork tenderloin from the Whole30 book, which is rubbed with a spice mixture containing mustard powder, onion powder, garlic powder, salt, black pepper, and lots of paprika to give it a beautiful red color and slight kick. I then made mashed potatoes, and decided to use my leftover kale to make colcannon. Not familiar with colcannon? It's an old Irish dish of mashed potatoes with kale or cabbage. I chopped the kale into "ribbons", and then 1 inch pieces, and then steamed it while the potatoes were boiling. After mashing the potatoes with some coconut oil and milk, I added the kale. It was SO. GOOD. I like kale, but I really think that this would be a great way to hide it if you didn't. And come on, look at the bright green! How could you not love that?



Breakfast this week is also all about hiding. Hiding my two daily eggs. Because sometimes I get sick of eating eggs every. single. day. So, I'm making coconut flour pancakes, and topping them with bright, beautiful strawberries. These whip up super quickly, and taste pretty good, though I'll admit they're still not as good as fluffy, gluteny, buttermilk pancakes. But, I get my eggs and my good fats all in one. Speaking of good fats, if you decide to cut the recipe in half to make just for yourself, make sure you cut the coconut oil in half, too. Your stomach will thank you. (Yup, I forgot that yesterday.....)


Lastly is dinner this week. This recipe for buffalo chicken casserole was shared with me by my friend Sarah, who rather coincidentally switched to the same diet as me at the same time (yay for buddies to help you get through!). And when she told me how delicious this was, she mean't it! This may be the healthiest junk food around. And by junk food I mean it tastes like you're devouring an entire bucket of buffalo chicken wings loaded with creamy ranch dressing. And by healthy I mean it's packed full of protein, good fats, and a full serving of veggies. Plus it's bright orange. Major win.




So, if you ever crave color like I do, there are four great ways to feed you stomach and your eyes!



2 comments:

Sarah Hefner said...

yay! So glad you like the casserole. I have been thinking of trying that pork loin recipe and those brownies...yum.

I love this blog. You are giving me courage to start writing again. :)

Allison said...

Yes, I love the pork recipe! It was one of the first recipes that I made from the book, and it's been a staple quick-and-easy main dish for me ever since. And, I'm so glad that this had inspired you! That inspires me to keep writing! :-)