Sunday, July 3, 2016

No More Training Wheels

I started this whole diet-change journey by doing the Whole30. Totally changing your diet can be really overwhelming, so I was incredibly thankful to find that there was a very detailed, here's-everything-you-need-to-know book written just for Whole30. That book was definitely the "training wheels" for my foodie-bike. I could find any meat or vegetable recipe, and they had suggestions for what other recipes to pair it with in order to make it a full meal. Hey presto, a super delicious meal plan, all ready to go.

But, there are only so many recipes in that book; as good as they are, I still need more variety. So, the last few weeks I've begun expanding my horizans and searching for more recipes (thank you, Pinterest!) This week, I really feel like I have been able to shed the training wheels and meal plan all on my own; finding new recipes, combining them with Whole30 recipes, lots of mixing and matching. So, here are some of my meals:


Breakfast this week has been egg burritos. I found a new recipes for paleo flatbread, combined it with an egg, bacon, and veggie filling I had used in the past, and added avocado mayonaise from the Whole30 book. Yum yum! The flatbread was way too salty, but otherwise great! They were a little too small to actually wrap the filling in them, so I opted for open-faced, but it was still nice to have something "bready" to make it more like a burrito than just scrambled eggs.



Lunch this week was meatloaf muffins with sweet potato "frosting" and roasted broccoli. The meatloaf muffins were super tasty, and I loved how quickly they cooked! I'm not sure if I would put the effort into topping them with the sweet potato if I was storing it for lunches again (especially since I had extra sweet potato that just got lumped on the side anyways), but it would be fun if you were serving them that day. The roasted broccoli was a staple from the Whole30 book.


My first dinner for the week was chili-lime chicken, paired with grilled pineapple and roasted peppers and onions from Whole30. I was afraid that this chicken was going to be too spicy, but it was just perfect! I've really grown fond of lime recently.

Mmhmm....and people think I can't eat anything ;-)

No comments: