Friday, April 1, 2011

Splendid Friday

So, I thought I would share with my faithful blog readers all of the lovely little things which have been part of this splendid first day of April.

It started with a new journal! It's actually an old sketchbook; I never used it though, so I raided my fabric stash and made a new cover for it, and found some stamps and ink to number the pages.



There's just something about a blank notebook or journal that makes me want to write a novel. The only problem is......I'm no author. But hey, it's fun to dream!

Next came baking a fudge brownie pie, which I don't have a picture of. But, needless to say, it was delicious!! But I did learn something in the process of making the frosting for it: it's very difficult to re-melt butter once it is already mixed into powdered sugar. It...extracts the oil from it, or something.

This next one is kind of sad, as well as yummy, but, I had my last piece of Valentines Day chocolate today. It was from Oliver's Candies in Batavia, and I highly recommend it to anyone looking for some incredible chocolate goodness!


Then for dinner, I tried two new recipes: chicken croquetts and classic dinner rolls.

And let me tell you, both were amazing! The chicken croquetts were something I first ate at Genesee Country Museum a few weeks ago and just had to try making. And I never thought I would find a dinner roll recipe that was like the store bought ones, but these were really close. And, because I'm not so mean as to make your mouth water and then leave you on your own to figure it out, here are the recipes and I used:

Chicken Croquetts
    2 tbsp. butter
1/4 c. flour
3/4 tsp. salt
1/8 tsp. pepper
1 c. milk
1 tsp. each minced parsley & onion
2 c. ground or finely chopped cooked chicken
1/2 tsp. fresh lemon juice
Salt & pepper to taste
Pinch sage
Fine dry bread crumbs or corn flake crumbs
1 egg
1 tbsp. water
Fat for frying
Melt butter. Add flour, salt and pepper; mix well. Gradually add milk and cook until thick, stirring constantly. Combine next 6 ingredients with white sauce. Chill. Shape into 8 croquetts. Roll in crumbs. Dip into slightly beaten egg mixed with water and then roll again in crumbs.

Fry in deep fat for about 5 minutes or until golden, or put croquetts in shallow bake pan, top each one with a dot of butter and bake at 350 degrees for 30 minutes. Serve with hot turkey or chicken gravy. Can also be frozen after rolled in crumbs.

Classic Dinner Rolls
  • 2 cups all-purpose flour, or more if needed
  • 1 envelope Fleischmann's® RapidRise Yeast
  • 2 tablespoons sugar
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt
  • 1/2 cup milk
  • 1/4 cup water
  • 2 tablespoons butter OR margarine
  1. Combine 3/4 cup flour, undissolved yeast, sugar and salt in a large bowl. Heat milk, water and butter until very warm (120 degrees to 130 degrees F). Add to flour mixture. Beat 2 minutes at medium speed of electric mixer, scraping bowl occasionally. Add 1/4 cup flour; beat 2 minutes at high speed. Stir in enough remaining flour to make soft dough. Knead on lightly floured surface until smooth and elastic, about 8 to 10 minutes. Cover; let rest 10 minutes.
  2. Divide dough into 12 equal pieces; shape into balls. Place in greased 8-inch round pan. Cover; let rise in warm, draft-free place until doubled in size, about 30 minutes.
  3. Bake in preheated 375 degrees F oven for 20 minutes or until done. Remove from pan; brush with additional melted butter, if desired. Serve warm. 
 Yup, both were a big hit!

Then tonight, doing my nails......always relaxing.


And maybe watching a little Diners, Drive-Ins, and Dives:


And finally, SEVENTEEN MORE DAYS UNTIL MY SEVENTEENTH BIRTHDAY! Yes, I AM excited. =D

1 comment:

Cati said...

Wahhh-my baby sister is going to be 17?! When did that happen!???