Friday, April 29, 2011

My Own Mt. Everest

Well, it's almost May, and that means 11th grade is coming to a close. In fact, I have only four more weeks! (Woohoo!!) Since I'm getting down to the end of my high school years, more and more people are asking me that infamous question:

"So, what do you want to do after you graduate? Are you going to college?"

And when I reply, in all seriousness,

"Actually, I'd like to get married and be a wife and mother."

They then give me a blank stare, a fake smile, and a "Oh, yeah, that's great.", all the while really thinking "This girl is insane."

But, it's true. Over the past two years the Lord has firmly cemented into my mind that my purpose and goal in life is to be a godly wife and mother; to glorify His name by being a helpmeet for my husband and by raising godly children. And it is incredible to see how God has worked things out so perfectly, to actually make that come true!

But there's more to it than that. I don't just want to be an everyday, average, mediocre, barely-gets-by wife. I want to be the absolute BEST wife and mother possible. I want to be the virtuous woman who is a crown to her husband and whose price is far above that of rubies (Proverbs 12:4, 31:10). I want to be like Ruth, whose reputation was so good that the whole city knew that she was a virtuous woman (Ruth 3:10). I want to be a godly woman who reflects the Lord everywhere I go and in everything I do. I want to be an example to others of a woman who is focused on serving God by serving her family.

Whew....that's a mountain and a half of goals.

So, I've gotten my gear together, I'm doing a lot of training, and now I'm taking the first little steps up that mountain. But then, I look up towards the summit, and my heart sinks.

"Oh no!" I think. "That's as big as Mt. Everest! I'll never make it up there!!"

I'll never reach the top.
I'll never be a good wife and mother.
I'll never be a virtuous woman.
I'll never be a crown to my husband.
I'll never reflect God in everything.
I'll never be a good example to others.
I'll never, ever, ever reach those goals!!
I just can't do it!!!!!!!

A little dramatic, I know, but you get my point. Those are the thoughts that haunt me some days, and they make me want to sit down, give up, take all my gear off, and simply QUIT.

But then, I remember Moses, and Joshua, and David, and Daniel, and Jeremiah, and countless others from the Bible.

Moses was called to lead a nation out of captivity....a NATION. And yet God didn't expect him to be perfect. When the Lord told Moses to speak to Pharaoh, his response was,

"And Moses said unto the LORD, O my Lord, I am not eloquent, neither heretofore, nor since thou hast spoken unto thy servant: but I am slow of speech, and of a slow tongue. And the LORD said unto him, Who hath made man's mouth? or who maketh the dumb, or deaf, or the seeing, or the blind? have not I the LORD? Now therefore go, and I will be with thy mouth, and teach thee what thou shalt say."

Moses didn't think he was good enough. He didn't think he could do it. And yet, God had called him to do what was seemingly impossible to him. But God didn't expect Moses to be perfect, or to be eloquent; no, He simply expected Moses to OBEY, and then He would give him the words to say.

Joshua also had to lead the nation of Israel. But he had more to do than that; he also had to go conquer other nations. That's another big mountain. But, again, God did not expect Joshua to be a perfect leader, or a perfect soldier, or anything of the sort. He simply expected OBEDIANCE, and He would fight on Joshua's behalf. In Moses' last exhortation to Joshua and the Israelites he said:

"Be strong and of a good courage, fear not, nor be afraid of them: for the LORD thy God, he it is that doth go with thee; he will not fail thee, nor forsake thee."

Later the Lord spoke directly to Joshua saying:

"Only be thou strong and very courageous, that thou mayest observe to do according to all the law, which Moses my servant commanded thee: turn not from it to the right hand or to the left, that thou mayest prosper whithersoever thou goest. ........Have not I commanded thee? Be strong and of a good courage; be not afraid, neither be thou dismayed: for the LORD thy God is with thee whithersoever thou goest."

And Jeremiah.....he was called to prophecy doom and destruction to the kingdom of Judah. And he was a very young man at that time. And his response to God's calling was:

"Then said I, Ah, Lord GOD! behold, I cannot speak: for I am a child. But the LORD said unto me, Say not, I am a child: for thou shalt go to all that I shall send thee, and whatsoever I command thee thou shalt speak. Be not afraid of their faces: for I am with thee to deliver thee, saith the LORD. Then the LORD put forth his hand, and touched my mouth. And the LORD said unto me, Behold, I have put my words in thy mouth."

Again, God didn't expect perfection. Just obedience. And God gave him the words, and the courage, and used Jeremiah for His purposes. 

And that is encouraging to me. When I look up at my Mt. Everest and start to feel like quitting because I'm not perfect, I just remember these men. And I serve the same God as they did. My Lord doesn't expect me to be perfect, or to know everything, or to get everything right the first try. He doesn't expect me to never stumble, or never be afraid. He just wants me to be obedient, and He will climb with me, and teach me, and pick me up, and get me to the top.

And so, I don't quit. I get my gear on and keep taking one step at a time, knowing that I serve an awesome God, and that He is with me every step.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Thanks for sharing your insights! I'm excited for you as the Lord continues His work in your life :) It is indeed easy to get discouraged when we expect more of ourselves than God does! It is so amazing to realize that the Lord equips us with the strength and grace we need to do what He calls us to. Praise Him!