Saturday, July 21, 2012

Five Days Of Amazing

Two weekends ago was the 149th Anniversary Gettysburg re-enactment. Stephen and I, a whole group of friends, and his regiment, the 2nd Texas, of course had to participate. It was the very first Gettysburg re-enactment that I had ever been to, and the first time I had been to Gettysburg since I was four. It was amazingly EPIC.

I tried so many new things, and conquered some fears, and learned a whole bunch. I think the best thing I realized is that if you're willing to go all-out authentic, things get a lot easier!!! They really knew what they were doing back then! I'll also have to admit that it was absolutely perfect to spend five straight days with my Man. I mean, honestly, who wouldn't love that? And, it was so nice to have very little schedule, and very little stress. A great vacation, although we definitely did not come back "rested".

In fact, we actually came back slightly ill.....just a little cold, and no voices. But, it was totally worth it. I got to sleep in a tent on an old military cot, and Stephen went campaigner style, sleeping outside under the stars with just a ground cloth and a few blankets. We ate many a meal prepared over the fire, walked everywhere, and drank gallons of water to counteract the heat!! Gosh, you never realize how precious ice is until you're drinking sun-heated water half the time!

However, so much went down that I could never hope to detail  it all. So, as usual, here's a quick look through some pictures.

Getting ready to drive down on Thursday....do I look a little out of place, maybe?


Beginning the long trek down sutler row on Friday morning:


Listening to the 2nd South Caroline String Band:


Enjoying some ice cream and the shade of a tree downtown:


The 2nd Texas Dismounted Cavalry during the afternoon battle on Friday:


Up at Little Round Top on Friday night:


Looking down on Devil's Den:


Getting the fire started Saturday morning, with a new little buddy who copied Stephen's every move:



Trying a new hairstyle:


Writing in my journal....I even used an old fashioned pen and ink set:


Loading the pistol for battle...Crisco yumminess!


All suited up and ready to fight:


Hanging out in the "kitchen":


Weapons inspection:


Being given a "pep-talk"........"Today is THE DAY!!"


Excited to be fighting:


And they're off!


Cavalry  battling:


Playing "nurse" to my worn-out Soldier:


Cleaning guns and hanging out with friends:


My horribly messy tent/closet:


Ready for the dance Saturday night:



These five guys together are an absolute riot:



 The 2nd South Carolina String Band at the dance:


Resting before the battle on Sunday:


 Getting ready to move in:


Cavalry:



Enjoying each other's company after the battle....and no, this was not posed:


Devil's Den Sunday night:


Only my Love can get such good pictures of me:


Looking back at Little Round Top:


Enjoying the rocks:


Packed up and ready to leave on Monday:


It was sad to leave....half way home, I was ready to just turn around and head back to Gettysburg. It was weird coming back to modern life; thankfully, we had another re-enactment the very next weekend to keep us going. But that, folks, is another post for another day!

1 comment:

Emily Ann Putzke said...

That looks like SO much fun!!!