Tuesday, October 15, 2013

{Works WIth Her Hands} AG Fair and Other Updates

Two weekends ago was the Agricultural Fair at the museum, and what a great weekend it turned out to be, despite the thunderstorms on Sunday. I had entered five different things into the Fair, and won blue ribbons on two of them!

The first and best item which I won on was my Double Irish Chain quilt! I worked so hard to finish it in time, and it definitely paid off! Here it is, totally finished, with its fun, multi-fabric binding, too.







The second thing I won a blue ribbon on was the quilted sunbonnet I made over the summer. The only thing, though, is that it was the only item in its category - not much competition :/

Then, I entered some blueberry shrub. Shrub is a popular 19th century drink made with vinegar, fruit, and sugar. It was my first time making shrub, so I don't wonder that I didn't win anything.

And, my roommate and I and a friend of ours all got together before the Fair to make some soap to enter. We didn't actually MAKE soap, with lye and everything, just the melt and pour kits. But it was still the closest I have  come to making soap. Here's the soap I entered - peach,walnut, and oat goats milk soap. No prize, though.


The last thing I entered is actually a present for somebody, so I can't mention it yet. :) But also, no prize.





For the other updates, I've been getting more sewing done on the Double Wedding Ring quilt. So far I've found that working with the curved seams isn't as hard as I was expecting. It's just rather time-consuming, because you have to heavily pin everything, and I'm usually a no-pins kind of gal.




I'm definitely happy with the way it's turning out!


And finally, look how small this number is getting! We're almost halfway. And, I'm so blessed that this weekend I get to go visit My Man with his parents!!! It has been seven weeks since he left.....and I get to be with him again in just four more days.




No comments: