Saturday, August 6, 2016

How To Tame Your Dragon

Did you know that you have a dragon? A Sugar Dragon, to be exact. Don't worry, I didn't know I had one either until I started the Whole30. Apparently, though, we all have a Sugar Dragon which causes us to love, crave, and sometimes downright obsess over sugar.

Well, meet Freideborg. She's my Sugar Dragon.


Don't let her big eyes and chubby claws fool you. She can be downright vicious if she's not happy. When Freideborg IS happy, she's cute, cuddly, and pleasant to have around. I mean, who doesn't love a nice sweet treat every once in a while?

But, if I feed her TOO much, she'll wreak havoc on me; stomach aches, head aches, mood swings, afternoon crashes, and wacky hormones. And yet, she is so insistent sometimes that I must feed her sugar, and I must feed her now! I didn't feed her at all for the Whole30 month, and I certainly felt better in many ways; but man, she protested loudly and almost committed mutiny a few times.

Since the Whole30, it's been a tough struggle to maintain a balance between a happy, moderately-fed Freideborg, and an out-of-control, raging, over-fed Freideborg. After all, she's absolutely wonderful when I am feeding her.

So, really, how DO you tame your Sugar Dragon?

1 comment:

Sarah said...

This is a huge surprise to me . .. as I get older, my craving for sugar diminishes. I almost can't believe it, as I had a pretty strong dependency, but it is the truth. So hopefully your Freideborg will be less obnoxious as time goes by!