Monday, May 27, 2013

{Helpmeet In Training} When I Grow Up

Yesterday was my parent's 25th Anniversary party. It was a simple picnic in the park with a small group of friends, and that entirely suits them. But, even though it wasn't a huge affair, it still was a really big deal. I was so thankful and blessed to be able to celebrate the fact that my parents are still happily married 25 years later.


Now that I'm entering adulthood, I'm really seeing what great examples my parents are of a God-fearing couple. Yes, my parents have faults; yes, they argued sometimes; yes, they  made a few mistakes when raising us. But they served God as best as they know how. My mom submits to and is a helpmeet to my dad, she got us three kids through all 12 years of homeschooling, and she runs the household smoothly and efficiently. My dad gets up and goes to work everyday, disciplined us when we were being rotten children, and leads the family with confidence and safety through many ups and downs. And that's just to mention a few of the things they did and still do.

Besides all this, I think what I treasure most about my parents is the fact that they laugh and smile and have fun. My dad has always been full of jokes and laughter, and my mom is always ready with some sarcastic wit all in good fun. I never remember having a gloomy or miserable household. Dinner time was always looked forward to because of the crazy conversations we got into. And even now, 25 years later, my parents still joke with each other; they laugh, and have a great time being together. They don't just tolerate being married, they treasure it. And that's a great thing to see.

My parents are really amazing. And when I grow up, I want to be like them.

No comments: