Thursday, April 25, 2013

{Works With Her Hands} Organizing

In preparation for moving on the 4th, most of my week has been spent organizing, going through my closet and dresser drawers, deciding what to keep and what to get rid of.

Now, I have one of those oh-so-mondern-and-trendy, screams-that-its-from-Target black cube bookselves. When I got it, I didn't want to spend $7 a piece to get 8 pre-made collapsible cubes to use in it. So, although the bookshelf definitely serves its purpose and holds a bunch of stuff, it kind of looks awful and entirely not organized. Right now it is my closet, so it's not a big deal. But at the new place, it will have to be out in my bedroom, and I don't really want to see clutter all the time.

In light of this, I decided to try to make my own collapsible cubes. I found this tutorial on Pinterest; it looked easy enough, so I gave it a go. While it was a little tricky sewing the bottom in, and my binding is kind of sloppy, I think it turned out well over-all. I used a very light-weight cardboard for this one, and it still works well, but the rest of them will be made using a slightly heavier cardboard. I plan on making 7 mores of these to fill all 8 shelves; it's going to be a little tricky, though, because as a quilter I tend to have small scraps of fabric instead of large pieces.

Anyways, here are some pictures.


I love this yellow print I found!


The bottom has a removable cardboard base so that it can fold up:


When not in use, it all folds up nice and neatly.


And look....it fits perfectly and hides and holds the clutter!


The last great thing about this is that it provides yet another place in which to have color!!!

No comments: