Thursday, August 18, 2011

Technology 101

As some of you may have seen on Facebook last Tuesday, I broke my laptop's screen. I was just innocently carrying it from my room to the basement when BANG, the corner of the lid bumped into the wall. And....that was the end of the screen. So, for the past 9 days, I have been working with half a screen:


Yeah.....that was challenging. All my windows had to be reduced to half-size, and if the words or pictures went farther than that, I had to scroll back and forth across the screen. I couldn't see the date, or time, or whether my internet was connected; nothing on the right side of my screen. It was pretty lame.

Anyways, we ordered a new screen, which arrived Monday, and finally tonight, my dad and I had time to fix it. This fall, my dad is going to be teaching me everything I need to know about taking care of my own laptop, and this was my first lesson.

Did you know that all this stuff was between the screen and the lid?


Here's the old screen (ew...really dusty):


Well, it's fixed now, and now I can see my WHOLE screen again!!! It's a miracle!

And what have I learned from this? Well, two things:

#1 - ALWAYS carry your laptop with the lid CLOSED.

#2 - Fixing a computer's screen is almost like working on a snowmobile engine. Kind of...... =)

No comments: