Thursday, August 25, 2011

Deeply Southern

This past weekend was the annual Hamlin Beach Civil War reenactment, and it definitely was a fun one. I love having the reenactment by the beach....it really makes for some fun times. This year, my parents and some friends from church joined Stephen and I for the day as well; it's always enjoyable to introduce people to the world of reenacting!

Well, anyways, the day started with drive to the beach, and on the way there Stephen and I got ourselves ready by listening to some "southern" songs. Of course there was the traditional "Dixie's Land", played by the 2nd South Carolina String Band. But he also played another song for me which I had never heard; all I can say about it is that it is deeply Southern. It's a good song, though, and it really set the tone for the day. So, enjoy:



We spent the morning shopping around the sutlers, looking for good bargains, like this beautiful dish set (8 bowls, 8 plates, 8 mugs and saucers, and salt and pepper shakers) for only $7:


And of course, visiting with friends. Then he had to go off to join his regiment, and get ready for the battle. Then I joined my parents and friends to watch the battle.

Just like last year, this reenactment had more Southern units than Northern, which meant that the South won the battle again.

The Yankees retreating:




Stephen's regiment:


The Southern Artillery:



And Stephen's down....again!




And here's little Miss I'm-Too-Cute-For-My-Own-Good:





The battle's over, the Confederates won the day, and he's alive again!




Here are both armies marching away after the battle:


After the battle we cleaned his gun, and then went for a walk barefoot on the beach; of course I had to at least wade in the water, so the bottom of my skirt was a little wet and sandy. He also took the opportunity for a photo shoot, including a picture with his old 1914 camera:



Then we had dinner:



and met up with his brother and friends, took some more pictures:





and then it was time to dance! I don't have any pictures from that, but basically, it looked just like it always does: lots of people in costume under a white tent with white christmas lights. We did all the normal dances, and a few odd ones; ate some ice cream; got really tired; and had an incredibly long waltz at the end. It was indeed a cool beans days!

No comments: