Tuesday, April 16, 2013

{Helpmeet In Training} Keep On Living


I recently had a conversation with My Man about the future of our country and government which really got me thinking. I don't know about you, but I've always dreamed of what I guess could be called a relatively comfortable future. I've always assumed I would be living a good life full of freedom and prosperity.

Now, I'm not trying to be doom and gloom, but in all honesty, our country is not headed down a happy path. Between attacks on Christianity, homeschooling, and personal liberty, my future is not looking very friendly. I've even had many older adults tell me that they feel bad for me and my children because we're going to have a rough go of it. Thinking about these things makes me want to curl up in a hole and never come out again. Why keep living when your future looks so dismal?

That question actually prompts another: why am I living in the first place? Am I living for my own pleasure, happiness, and comfort? Or am I living to glorify, obey, and serve Christ? I've grown up in the church, so "living for Christ" is a phrase that I've heard bandied around my entire life. But what does it really mean?

I'm not going to attempt describe what it means, because I don't even have a full grasp on it yet. But I do know this much; if I'm living to glorify Christ, it may or may not change what I already do, but it most certainly will change my motives for what I do. And motives are a big deal. If I'm living just for my own pleasure, then quite frankly there's not much of a reason to keep living in light of the rough future foreseen. But, if I'm living to glorify Christ, then I have great reason to keep on living, because I can do that no matter what happens in my future.

1 comment:

Valerie Burrows said...

Thank you for this. I have never looked at it this way.