Monday, April 8, 2013

{Helpmeet In Training} - What I Do

I have been reading the book Created To Be His Helpmeet by Debbie Pearl on and off for the past few months. I read it the first time in 2010, but I am learning ever so much more this time around.

Several people have asked me why I would read that book, when it's written to married women, and I'm sure there are many other people who think I'm nuts, yet have simply had the good grace to let it pass. I read it because, though I am not yet a married woman, I consider myself a "helpmeet in training".

I look at it this way. Let's say I wanted to become a nurse. If I just went to my local hospital and asked for a job as a nurse, saying that I would "learn as I go", everybody would think I was insane. No, they would want me to learn as much as I could about nursing BEFORE I got the job. People's health and lives would be on the line, so I could not afford to make all the mistakes that would come with learning as I go.

Seems to me that we should apply the same logic to marriage. Granted, there are plenty of things which cannot be put into practice and cannot be learned until I'm actually married, but why not learn as much as I can now? My future husband and children's health and lives are on the line, both physically and spiritually speaking. It's a big deal.

And so I read. And I put what I can into practice. And I observe others, some who are and some who are not practicing these principles. I watch and learn and read and practice. Because I want to be the very best helpmeet that I can be for My Man.

No comments: